Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 11:45 AM
Public Affairs Consultant
Marriott Dallas / Addison Quorum Hotel
Ken Benson is a Dallas based business consultant who for more than 30 years has helped large and small corporations, trade associations, non-profit organizations, and others achieve successful outcomes to their public affairs or public relations programs.
He is currently a public affairs consultant to the Hotel Association of Greater Dallas and has worked with other hospitality related groups in North Texas. In addition to his work in the hospitality industry, Mr. Benson has also served as a consultant to the 7-Eleven Corporation, Texas Mutual Insurance Company, McDonalds, and Frito Lay among others.
Mr. Benson also serves as the executive director of the Dallas Breakfast Group, a Dallas based public affairs group of high level business executives. This organization identifies and financially supports qualified individuals seeking elective office to the Dallas City Council, Dallas School Board and the Dallas County Community College District Board of Trustees.
Mr. Benson also works regularly with national public affairs and public relations groups in support of national issues before Congress. Fortune Magazine called him a "new breed of influence peddler" for his innovative grassroots outreach work in Texas on behalf of trade legislation in the late 1990's. His more recent projects have focused on the new Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Benefit and promoting greater broadband access in the United States.
Mr. Benson has also been active in many local and state organizations.
- He currently chairs the Dallas County Small Business Advisory Committee for the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.
- He is a current executive committee member and state board member for the Texas Association of Business. He is also a former chair of the TAB's Dallas Chapter.
- He is a board member of the Public Relations Society of America's Dallas Chapter and chairs their Counselors Section.
- He is the Texas state public affairs chair for the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR), a U.S. Defense Department organization dedicated to working with companies on Guard and Reserve issues.
- He is a past chair of the Dallas Chamber's Local Government Affairs Committee.
- He has also been recognized by The Dallas Regional Minority Purchasing Council for his leadership in promoting minority business opportunities.
Prior to starting his public affairs consulting practice, Mr. Benson worked in the cable television industry in Dallas, in state government as an aide to Dallas area Texas Representative David Cain and in municipal government for the City of Ventura, California. He was appointed by President Jimmy Carter to manage the 1980 U.S. Census in North Texas. He has also taught government at the Dallas County Community College District Eastfield campus.
Mr. Benson is a graduate of Southern Methodist University with a Bachelor of Arts degree and holds a Masters in Public Administration from the University of Southern California. He is married to Martha Stowe, the director of the Vickery Meadow Youth Development Foundation, an organization dedicated to improving the educational opportunities for children living in the Vickery Meadow area of Dallas. He is also a member of the Northaven United Methodist Church.